On the 23rd of October 2017, WWE will release the '30 Years of Survivor Series' DVD set. I sat and watched the discs back to back to back and have the following to say about the set.
The DVD kicks off with no introduction or host/s with the only thing given being the Survivor Series transitions they've been using for the last few years. The first disc is a top 30 of the best Survivor Series moments. It felt like an hour long YouTube video. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the disc but I feel like it could've been put across better.
Each place on the list has a video package similar to those used in WWE today and boy have the video team knocked it out of the park here. I have a few issues with placements on the list but nothing too drastic. Do I believe that number 1 should've been number 1? Yes, without a doubt. Despite being controversial and pretty obvious, it couldn't have been anything else. It also felt nice that everything on the list deserved to be on it and that none of it was just there to fill places up. It was also nice to see people no longer affiliated with the WWE involved in the list too. People like Demolition, CM Punk, Hulk Hogan and Alberto Del Rio all featuring prominently.
Another thing that could've been improved was the amount of information given. We were just presented with the video and had to make our own assumptions. There is a list with names of moments online at wrestlingdvdnetwork(dot)com but you shouldn't have to go out of your way to find it. I'm not going to spoil the list placements but I'm going to give you my personal favourite moments that were put on the list.
- The Undertaker Returns at Survivor Series 2004
- The Shield Debut
- The First Elimination Chamber
- Winner Takes All - Team WWE vs Team Invasion
- Team Cena vs Team Authority / Sting Debut.
I don't have much to say about the first disc besides the lack of information and the presentation of the list leaves this DVD with the untapped potential of being fantastic.
The second disc is a collection of matches from the earlier Survivor Series which were mentioned on the list. This collection of matches is nice and are definitely must watch.
My Top 5 however:
- WWE Championship Match: The Undertaker vs Hulk Hogan @ Survivor Series 1991.
- 5-on-5 Elimination Match: The Bad Guys (Razor Ramon, 1-2-3 Kid, The British Bulldog & The Headshrinkers) vs. The Teamsters (Jeff Jarrett, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Owen Hart & Jim Neidhart) @ Survivor Series 1994.
- No Disqualification Match for the WWE Championship: Bret “Hitman” Hart vs. Diesel @ Survivor Series 1995.
- WWE Championship Match: Shawn Michaels vs. Sycho Sid @ Survivor Series 1996.
- Triple Threat Match for the WWE Championship: Triple H vs. The Rock vs. The Big Show @ Survivor Series 1999.
It was so nice to listen to Brain on commentary again too.
Similarly to Disc 2, this was a very nice collection of matches beginning from the attitude era spanning to the current era. Like the previous, must watch matches. The last two discs are what makes the set worthwhile in my opinion.
My Top 5 Matches:
- Steel Cage Match to Unify the WWE & WCW Tag Team Championships: The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz @ Survivor Series 2001
- WWE Championship Match: Brock Lesnar vs. The Big Show @ Survivor Series 2002
- 6-Pack Challenge Match for the Vacant WWE Women’s Championship: Trish Stratus vs. Lita vs. Jacqueline vs. Molly Holly vs. Jazz vs. Ivory @ Survivor Series 2001
- 5-on-5 Elimination Match: The Shield (Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose) & The Real Americans (Jack Swagger & Cesaro) vs. Cody Rhodes, Goldust, Rey Mysterio, & The Usos @ Survivor Series 2013
- Tournament Finals for the Vacant WWE Championship: Roman Reigns vs. Dean Ambrose @ Survivor Series 2015
The set was good. Not fantastic, not bad, just good. The list was mediocre but was made up for by the quality matches on the other discs. I still do recommend it but I just thought you might want to know what you're buying before you buy it.
Buy or Not To Buy: BUY from WWE DVD UK