Friday 10 August 2012

Kevin Nash – Worlds Worst Attention Seeker...By Helen Robinson

What can I say about Kevin Nash and his barrage of ridicule this week? What a tool! First of all I would like to point out that one of my favourite moments of wrestling history was Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit at Wrestlemania 20. An epic moment for me as a big fan of both men, how very dare Kevin Nash belittle that moment! What he says has very rarely been relevant, now even more so. I fear what fan base he has remaining after this will dwindle lower. Small men are not appealing wrestlers? Now, not massive in height, personally I would not call Eddie or Benoit small in build or more importantly charisma. Both were loved throughout the industry for many years, which is indeed more than I can say for Nash. It is a well known fact that in his reign as champion both viewing and merchandise sales were significantly lower than past and future times. He has been angling for attention over the past weeks with talks on a nWo reformation and his absurd comments about wrestlers past and present, seriously does he not realise no one cares? No one would recognise Punk or Sheamus without their belts and ‘gimmick’ shirts? I probably wouldn’t recognise Nash anymore if he slapped me in the face with a wet fish! As one of my favourite wrestlers so aptly put it – He probably tore a quad just tweeting about it!

Later in the week he tried to defend his comments in yet another image damaging interview. He again, did himself no favours. Comparing wrestlers to Stan Lee’s superheroes and commenting that they would never have taken off it they were small in stature. I could go into the dimensions of said superheroes, many of which were not said to be anything other than average size, but I won’t. I could also go into the fact that actual superheroes such as the men and women of the armed forces, are indeed of average size, again, I won’t.

As much as I love WWE and the pro wrestling, I am under no illusion that its main aim is to make money and nothing more. The size and build of the wrestler is irrelevant. What he can do is the key to success.

Santino Morella is not a great wrestler, nor a big chap, however, his charm has carried him and the US championship for quite some time. The Great Khali is massive, should he be the next Heavy Weight Champion? Chris Benoit is notably one of the greatest technical wrestlers we as fans will ever see, he was also (until one of the darkest days pro wrestling will see) likeable, hardworking and humble. Three traits that will never be used in the same sentence as Kevin Nash. Eddie had the same mindset, work ethic and likeability, no amount of muscle or extra height would have changed the fans opinion on these men. We simply liked them for who they were and the way they played out their characters. Our current champions are excellent wrestlers, I can honestly say, Punk’s matches with Daniel Bryan and Chris Jericho have been some of the best we have seen for a long time. Chris Jericho has had an amazing career with WWE and continues to be a big draw for the company (unlike Nash) despite being of average size. Nash must be desperate to get back into the spotlight, it’s just a shame that once gain he has gone about it the wrong way. All that has been achieved is people are now less interested in him than before. There’s no such thing as bad publicity? I disagree; Kevin Nash has proven this over the last few days. Over the past 5 years I have never heard so many people talking about Benoit and defending his achievements, nor has Eddie been in the spotlight this much for some time. Well done Kevin Nash for getting the attention back on people that were and still are notably better than you!

Follow me on Twitter @helenrobison82

No comments:

Post a Comment